Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How to be a Better Facebook Friend


I’ve seen a lot of advice on etiquette and also how to avoid embarrassing ourselves and others on Facebook, especially in terms of how our work colleagues might view us. But I haven’t seen much advice on how to be a better friend—how to be more considerate and encourage more connection. Because there are almost always at least two sides to every issue, I’m presenting a “flipside” too—a way of looking at the irritating behavior that might soften our perceptions. 

1) Do make a comment or click “like” if you’ve read and been touched by a status update or link. Sometimes we read something, but we’re not really sure about our reactions, or in fact we disagree. You don’t have to go into a long discourse, you can just say something like, “interesting” or “thought-provoking” or “not sure if I agree; have to think more on this”. Making a very short comment takes little time, but gives your friend positive feedback that she is posting information that you relevant.

The flipside: Don’t assume people didn’t read or weren’t interested in something, just because they failed to comment. A lot of people are rushed or don’t know what to say, but they were touched or influenced all the same.

2) Do take a moment to offer condolences or sympathy to a friend going through a difficult time. I think many people fail to do this, because they feel awkward or don’t know what to say. This is a time when repeating the words of others is completely fine. There are no points for originality—just showing support is the important thing. A few quick ideas, “My sympathies are with you.” “My condolences to you.” “My heart goes out to you.” “My thoughts are with you.” Or if you are religious, “I am praying for you.” I was very hurt and angry that most of my “friends” and even some of my family, failed to offer sympathy when my sister was on the brink of death in the ICU. The comments I did receive gave me great comfort during those long, lonely night hours at her side.

The flipside:  Don’t assume that people have seen your status update, or that they know what’s going on in your life, just because you posted it on Facebook. I have missed many important notifications, simply as a result of not being logged on when they came through. If it’s important, consider tagging the most relevant people when you post, or better yet send them a private email or text or make a phone call.

3) Don’t post links to articles or videos (or graphs, cartoons, etc.) that can be perceived as controversial, if you cannot tolerate disagreement on your wall. This should be obvious, but it is not. People want to post things that are meant to be persuasive to bring “other people” around to their point of view, and then they get irate that someone disagrees with them. However much you want your wall to be your own private relaxation space, it is nevertheless a public forum. You know you have friends that don’t agree with your every view (in fact you were almost certainly targeting them with your link) so don’t act shocked when they let you know.

The flipside: Don’t offer your dissenting opinion to “friends” you don’t know well. It is clearly the case that many people do not like others to disagree with them on Facebook . If you see that a friend is often engaged in debate, it is probably fair to offer your two cents, but even then you can be surprised.

4) Do avoid vaguebooking. This has been much-discussed, but needs to be said again. Do not post random song lyrics, passages from books or quotes from movies without attribution. At best, this makes many people feel lost.  At worst, they could feel deliberately excluded. Similarly do not post tantrums about unnamed individuals.  It’s just rude and not productive.  Example: “I hate nasty bitches!” At best people are thinking, “No shit. Who doesn’t?” At worst they’re thinking you are thoughtless and cruel or they might feel anxious that they are the targets of your rant. If you have a problem with someone, address him directly, like a grown-up, or choose to let it go, truly.

The flipside: Don’t make assumptions about the meaning behind a vague post. When you see examples of this, just ignore it. We all have bad days, and sometimes we need to vent or we haven’t really thought out the implications of our actions. If someone does this repeatedly, and it gets under your skin, you can hide her updates.

5) Don’t announce that you are deleting friends. At best, no one cares. At worst, you will provoke anxiety. Just do it, and keep quiet. Also, think before you decide to include or exile someone from your Facebook circle. We should always be thinking about how to maintain and strengthen connections. If you’re not sure about someone, don’t add her to your friends’ list in the first place. If you are annoyed at someone, think long and hard about the reasons why. It is too easy to drop a friend for simple disagreement. This can lead to real world awkwardness and be damaging to personal growth.

The flipside: Don’t obsess about someone’s post that they’re purging. Ignore it. If you don’t survive the cut, ask yourself: So what? A person you barely knew chose to delete you from his friends list. It is not in any way a reflection on your value as a human being. Also, you do not know their reasons. Often times it has less to do with you than with them. It might sound cliché, but it’s true. On the other hand, if you find that many people are dropping you from their list of friends, you might ask yourself if you are falling short in your responsibilities.

6) Don’t post multiple links in a row. Keep it to two or three maximum per session. I have a few friends and organizations that I really value, who have great things to contribute, so I don’t want to hide them. But, I get overwhelmed when they post link after link. I’ve had to wade through two pages of Youtube video links to get to the next status update by another friend. This is not fair. I’m pretty sure no one wants to do that.

The flipside: Don’t assume negative intent. Most likely people who do this are caught up in their thing, and haven’t noticed that the links are piling up. Also, I know that some folks don’t post regularly, but kind of “dump” when they do get on. If this really bugs you, you can hide the person. Of course, the standard “ignore it” applies, as always.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first thing I've read about being a better FB friend. Good advice! I "like" how you presented the flipside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advice. Every point you make is fitting to my personal FB experience, but I must say I am 'guilty' of removing my comment or comments from a thread if I've been "passed up" by the friend whose wall it is on. I just find that rude. I don't do a whole lot of status posting, choosing instead to do most of my talking through Tiger Scat, but I make a point of recognizing everyone; it's rare that I miss one.

    ReplyDelete